Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bilingual Education






Under the category of education issues, one thing I enjoyed reading about in e-Chapter 6 was bilingual education, because I am bilingual, was an English Language Learner in High School (ELL), and plan to teach a foreign language. An important question was asked. What technologies and teaching strategies can be used to enhance ELL learning?  I clicked on the web resources provided in this chapter to examine what resources are currently being offered in the country. The website is called “National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) & Language Instruction Educational Programs.”  As I browsed through the website, there a number of different links to grant programs, professional development, and assistance programs, to name a few, that provide resources to enhance ELL ability to learn.

I believe this topic is important for teachers to think about since they will have students who are English language learners, and therefore they need to be aware of how they are going to approach helping these students learn.   It is a challenge for teachers, but it must be met. Technology offers so many easy ways to help ELLs, as well as, foreign language learners to acquire a new language.   

As a former ELL, I feel that if the technology of today was around when I was learning English, I would have learned much faster.  There are so many resources on the web available to help with English language acquisition, and the web is so much more widespread that is was a decade ago when I came to this country.   

If you are interested in viewing more information on the website I mentioned above, follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment