Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Digital Footprint


 A person’s digital footprint is the compilation of all of the past activities that have been done electronically by a person over the web.  It includes all of the web pages you have visited, comments you have made, photos you have posted, and information about you that is on the web.  This video gives a good overview of what a digital footprint is. 

Much of a person’s digital footprint is available simply by a Google search or by finding a person’s profile on Facebook.  It is worrisome because it shows that there is no privacy on the web and that whatever you do or say on it leaves a trail that can be followed.  As a result, I believe it is very important to be careful what a person posts online, especially photos and comments on websites like Facebook.  This video on digital footprints states statistics on reasons that employers did not hire people based on a search for their digital footprints.  It included posting inappropriate comments and pictures, even about legal activities like drinking.  Everyone should be careful about the information that you post on the web and know that anyone can see it if they want to, and that even though it might seem like nothing at the time, it can become a big deal down the road.  

I created a digital footprint video using Google searches and Google's tool to do this through Youtube.  I program requires you to put in a number of searches.  I used my name and then places I have lived and went to school.  I found it easy to make my video and it was a lot of fun too!
Here is my Digital Footprint Video, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I like the music that you chose for your video! You came up with some great searches. Sometimes it's scary how much information can be found about you on the web!

    ReplyDelete